What is a Lease Non-Renewal Letter?
A letter of not renewing lease is a formal document, and it can also be a notice to inform the lessor or the lessee that they will not renew their agreement. The standard time to give this notice is within 30, 45, or 60 days of the lease expiration date.
What are common reasons to terminate the lease?
From the lessor if:
- They plan to 🔗increase the rent.
- They sell their property, and the new owner does not want to rent it.
- Renovate the interior of their property or reconstruct it.
- The tenant 🔗pays the rent late repetitively or frequently violates the contract term that the landlord will need to terminate the lease or send an 🔗eviction notice.
From the leaseholder if:
- They move to another city or find a better place to live.
- They want a new location to change the environment.
- The condition of the current property is getting poor.
- They are not happy with either their landlord or neighbor.
How to Terminate a Lease - Step-by-Step Guide
After you've made the decision not to renew the lease, here are the basic steps you should follow to officially terminate the lease once it has expired.
Review the original lease agreement
Check the terms in the contract and ensure the condition of appliances and furniture provided by the lessor is still good without damage. Additionally, the letter should state any refundable fees to return to the tenant.
Draft the Not Renewing Lease letter
The landlord or tenant is not obligated to write particular reasons for not renewing when the contract expires unless they feel the need. If the landlord does state the grounds in the letter, they must avoid discrimination or retaliation if they don't want to end up in legal trouble.
Once the draft is done, the letter can be emailed or printed. You can use our letter templates to help you create a professional letter in just a minute.
Schedule an appointment for an inspectionBefore the move-out date, the landlord and tenant must schedule an appointment for a walk-through inspection of the property. We recommend using the 🔗 move-out checklist to write down any noticed damage as proof and countersign it by both parties.
Return the security deposit
Since both parties agree upon an estimate for the damage found, the landlord will send the remaining security deposit to the tenant's provided address within the state's rule. Otherwise, they can be subject to penalties and fines.
Related PostIn case you have not receive your deposit back, craft a 🔗deposit return letter to remind your landlord with our editable templates in just a few clicks.
Non-Renewal Lease Letter Templates
If you do not want to create a letter from scratch or copy-paste the text, then our editable templates are your best options. You can create your letter quickly within three simple steps:
- Select our not renewing lease letter template.
- Input your information by answering our questions.
- Review, edit the text if necessary, and download your letter.
not renewing lease letter to tenant
not renewing lease letter to landlord
- Even though you don't have a good relationship with your leaseholder or lessor, it is essential to be polite and straightforward in this not renewing lease letter. It helps the separation go smoothly and prevents any legal trouble from occurring.
- Ensure your contact information or bank account details are correct to receive your deposit back without any problem.
- If you are breaking your lease early, either the landlord or the renter should write a🔗 Early lease termination letter stating the reason. For tenants, you should be aware of losing the deposit or accepting any additional penalties in this case.
- In cases one party violated the terms and conditions, you should indicate all unsatisfactory conditions in your letter. Make a list of deductions and the total amount that should be deducted from the security deposit.
In summary, a not renewing lease letter will help the lessor and lessee prepare upfront for separation. Landlords who receive this notice can start preparing the property and looking for new tenants. On the contrary, renters who receive non-renewal lease notices will have time to look for their next home.
Thus, we hope this article and our not renewing lease letter templates are helpful for your research and preparation. Thanks for reading!
Related PostIf you change your mind to save time and cost from looking for a new tenant, check out our article for the best template and what to know about the 🔗 Lease Renewal Letters.